Sour gas release reported by RCMP
RCMP say there has been a release of potentially dangerous sour gas near a small community in northwestern Alberta.
According to Canadian Press, police say the gas was released Friday afternoon by a plant near Baytree about 100 kilometres northwest of Grande Prairie, Alta.
RCMP say first responders and energy industry safety staff determined the gas release happened once and does not pose an ongoing safety or health concern.
Police say they received lots of calls from people wondering if they should leave the area.
RCMP say monitoring equipment has not detected any more gas and there is no risk to public safety.
The Alberta Energy Regulator website says sour gas is natural gas that contains measurable amounts of hydrogen sulphide that smells like rotten eggs and is poisonous to humans and animals.
RCMP say if the situation changes, people in the area would be notified.
Print this page